Cultural Representations of the Hispanic World was one of the projects of ENVOIE (University of Groningen, Netherlands)
– Main objectives of the Virtual Exchange
Understanding and analysing journalistic work as a team in an intercultural context.
– Targeted learning outcomes
- Gain general knowledge and understanding of Hispanic culture through cultural representations such as films, literature, theatre and poetry focusing on crucial episodes from the colonial period to present times.
- Learn how to reflect on these cultural representations from both a European and Latin American point of view.
- Online Intercultural communicative competence: carry out online task with peers from another sociohistorical context and cultural background.
- Digital skills: learn how to use online tools such as videoconferencing programmes, blogs, podcast etc.
– Global task description
- Icebreaking and intercultural awareness raising activity
- Debate and collaborative writing/research on a subject related topic and development of intercultural skills
- Final joint product: presentation/podcast/radio programme/blog on subject related content.
- Reflection in journal/blog on the intercultural encounters and experience as a whole.
|Partner / department||Course||Language of instruction||Number of students|
|University of La Frontera, Chile||Journalism||Spanish|
|University of Groningen||Cultural Representations of the Hispanic World||Spanish||32|
Start and end date
16 April 2018 – June 2018
Integration and assessment
In-class activities prepare the students for the online intercultural encounter. The online tasks are supervised by the lecturer and followed-up by activities such as reflections on the online tasks.
The final product together with the preparative tasks accounted for 20% of the final mark for the course (in Groningen).
Technology tools used
– Learning environment
– Collaboration tools
WhatsApp and Skype
– Reflection tool